[SWLUG] OGG on Sony W810i phone?

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Jul 4 23:04:26 UTC 2006

On Tue Jul  4 22:55:13 2006, Mark Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 17:09:43 +0100, Dave Cridland
> <dave at cridland.net>  wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > The other likely reason is that Ogg is perceived to have a
> > relationship with illegal music sharing, or worse, fair use.
>
> Isn't it more likley that they simply don't think it's worth their
> while?  The same reason that Nokia doesn't ship (AFAIK) it's
> sync/data suite as a  linux app - that (aside from users on this
> list) there's simply not wide  enough support for it. Far more
> people use Windows to play MP3s than use  Linux boxes to play OGGs,
> I'd imagine.

That'd be a fine argument for the actual mobile phones. As I say,
though, as far as I can tell, even the Nokia 770 (Not a phone) can't
play Ogg, and that *is* Linux (espcially the newer software load - it
uses apt-get and everything). As it ships with gstreamer, it looks
like they've actively removed this.

BTW, Nokia don't ship a "PC suite" for Linux because Linux users, by
and large:

a) Will write their own equivalent.
b) Even if Nokia did, many Linux users would still write their own
alternative.

> Plus the fact that they'd probably rather* send them out capable of
>  playing only DRM'd files, I suppose...

Except MP3 has no DRM capability either.

I think it must be the CPU argument.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/