[SWLUG] postfix errors, help please

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Jul 21 11:28:35 UTC 2006

On Fri Jul 21 08:58:15 2006, Geraint Edwards wrote:
> bascule <asura at theexcession.co.uk> said
> 		(on Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 03:05:24AM +0100):
> >  Out: 451 Error: queue file write error
> > > i'd like to know that this error actually means :)
>
> The mail log should tell you in more detail why it couldn't store
> the mail (it's been given the e-mail, and is trying to add it to
> its queue, but failed, so temporarily rejected the e-mail).
>
> I would suspect the usual:  a full disc, file permissions, or a
> broken (spam or virus) filter.

To get a write error, I *think* it has to get an error from write().
This can be disk full, or it can be a disk error - like a dodgy
sector as the disk dies. If that's the case, you should find the
kernel crying into its logs.

Given that the machine later died, and that subsequent mail activity
happened, and the size of the email wasn't huge, my guess would be
that the disk needs a careful checking.

As an interim measure, if it is a dying disk, turning off swap can
make the machine much more stable.

There's good news, too - I think even modern disks that develop bad
sectors make excellent windchimes.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/