[SWLUG] Screen resolution

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Jun 15 07:52:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 19:20 +0100, Peter Bradley wrote:
> I have a problem in that I cannot change the screen resolution to
> anything other than 800 x 600.  This is the spec of my box:

> In SaX2, Card and Monitor Properties it gives me:
> * Card: VESA Framebuffer graphics

This was the clue, it means it didnt have a driver for your specific
graphics card, and had to resort to using a generic one (VESA), which
has very limited resolution support.

as you had discovered for yourself, you can download a seperate driver
for ATI based chipsets, likewise there is one for nvidia chips too if
you want all the accelerated 3d stuff