[SWLUG] Laptop

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Sat Oct 7 12:14:02 UTC 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 18:39, Peter Bradley wrote:
> For family reasons, it looks as though I'm going to have to go to
> Sheffield to look after my mother for several days the week after next.
> The prospect of staring at four walls for that amount of time is not
> appealing, so I thought I'd buy a laptop so that I can amuse myself
> doing a little programming and stuff whilst I'm away.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions of the kind of laptop I should look
> for?  It'll have to be something easy to get hold of by just nipping
> down to PC World or similar, because I don't have time for anything
> else.  I've got a copy of SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop that I thought
> I'd install.

I just bought a Toshiba Equium A110-233 from PC world a week or two ago.
I did _not_ work with openSUSE (I think the screen driver didn't work),
nor with Fedora Core 5. However, when I put in Kubuntu 6.06 the stuff I
tried worked fine and I'm happy with it so far. Because I've only just
got it and been working away there're quite a few things I haven't
tested yet.
For details of what worked/didn't work/haven't tried yet see
http://www.qtrac.eu/toshiba-a110.html

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd., www.qtrac.eu