[SWLUG] Laptop

James Edgeworth diagmato at black0ps.com
Sun Oct 8 21:42:30 UTC 2006

>> For family reasons, it looks as though I'm going to have to go to
>> Sheffield to look after my mother for several days the week after next.
>> The prospect of staring at four walls for that amount of time is not
>> appealing, so I thought I'd buy a laptop so that I can amuse myself
>> doing a little programming and stuff whilst I'm away.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions of the kind of laptop I should look
>> for?  It'll have to be something easy to get hold of by just nipping
>> down to PC World or similar, because I don't have time for anything
>> else.  I've got a copy of SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop that I thought
>> I'd install.

I have had just as much success on a HP Pavilion DV5000z as I have with
desktop machines. The main errors have only been with wireless
networking on 64 bit (ended up installing 32 bit Suse instead).

I have heard that HP are starting to ship laptops with SLED
pre-installed, but from the looks of it, its business customers only.

You should be able to get an HP Pavilion from PC World.