[SWLUG] Laptop

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Sat Oct 7 13:03:16 UTC 2006

On Saturday 7 October 2006 13:29, Peter Bradley wrote:
> Ysgrifennodd Mark Summerfield:
> > I just bought a Toshiba Equium A110-233 from PC world a week or two ago.
> > I did _not_ work with openSUSE (I think the screen driver didn't work),
> > nor with Fedora Core 5. However, when I put in Kubuntu 6.06 the stuff I
> > tried worked fine and I'm happy with it so far. Because I've only just
> > got it and been working away there're quite a few things I haven't
> > tested yet.
> > For details of what worked/didn't work/haven't tried yet see
> > http://www.qtrac.eu/toshiba-a110.html
>
> Thanks a lot, Mark.  I'll follow that up.
>
> This is the one area where installing Linux is still a bit of a
> minefield, isn't it?  Still, I've got loads of DVDs for different
> distributions kicking around.  I imagine the most important thing you
> say is to try lots of them.  One will work eventually, by the sounds of it.

Yes, but it can be a nerve-wracking process!

The best advice I got was to try using LiveCDs (or LiveDVDs) because
then you could test all the stuff you really care about, and only if
you're happy install the thing. (Make sure your network cable is
connected if you have one otherwise you might not realise that not every
distro will find the network card--FC5 doesn't for my machine for
example.)

Also, in the case of Kubuntu/Ubuntu, lots of people have reported
results of Linux installations:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam
The other site I tried was:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/