[SWLUG] Network backups

David Goodwin dof at codepoets.co.uk
Mon Sep 11 05:56:40 UTC 2006

> What do you all use for backups? Any 'dump' fans? Is Amanda
> worth a look for small (home) networks?

tar and/or rsync, ssh and gpg, depending on the files and their
location.

So far, I've used the cp -Ral ability of cp to do a copy involving hard
links, and then run rsync over that to get incremental directory trees.
I think I should look at rsnapshot/rdiff or what ever it's called, as
some of my files are relatively large with only small amounts  of data
changing within them.

I gpg encrypt backups that are going onto servers I don't directly
control.

dump apparently shouldn't be used.... I can't remember exactly why now,
but I think lwn.net has covered why.

David.

--
David Goodwin