[SWLUG] Routing?

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Sep 14 08:38:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 16:17 +0100, alanh wrote:
> What i need to do now is to route packets from the 192.168.20.x network
> to out proxy server on the 192.168.10.x network. I thought I could do
> this using static routing but, my acute lack of knowledge in this area
> is now showing! Asgard is running Fedora Core 4 and our proxy servers
> internal address is 192.168.10.15.

The system will not route packets between interfaces unless you enable
it first, on any redhat/fedora based system this is done
in /etc/sysctl.conf

you want this:

# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

the system will then route traffic if any is sent to it, eg by setting
it as the default gateway for the machines on the one network, or by
explicitly naming it as the gateway to get to a particular ip range.

for just web browsing, as you suggest, you can just setup squid. the
only config changes you should need are to set the ip range that is
allowed to use the proxy, and to tell the proxy that the next upstream
proxy is its parent, and that it should not do direct requests itself.
how to do this is pretty well documented in the config
file /etc/squid.conf