[SWLUG] Broadband

P.G. Richardson p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 14:49:28 UTC 2007

Greetings and salutation Marcus,

<snip>

> I'm finally considering the possibility of dipping my toe in the
> customer-service-quagmire of broadband, having
> just-about-had-it-up-to-here
> with dialup. (That, and my phone call provider has hiked its prices up
> again.)
>
> I would like your opinions on what phone call/broadband provider you have
> and how good they are (and how linux-compatible they are), and what
> modem/router/firewall you have, and how linux-compatible that is.

Used to be with BTInternet and although pricey they had a good stable
service. Couple of friends have had technical problems but I was lucky.

Currently with Eclipse who have good reviews on the broadband consumer
choice webpages (youswitch was one of them i think).
Pros:
  - A lot cheaper than BT
  - Not a big ISP like tiscali so dont get the server load or tech problems
  - Real unlimited broadband between midnight and 7am
  - Pay for the service and no extra rubbish like yahoo's version of IE

Cons:
  - Have to pay for extra services like email. Basically, you get a
hosting deal from them if you subscribe. Seeing as I already do that
elsewhere, I didnt have a problem.

Easiest way to avoid any modem problems is get an ethernet ADSL router
(30-60+ quid). If you ensure you get one with a web interface then it is
platform neutral and can connect more than one computer. Usually have
built-in firewalls as well.

My pennieth

Paul

--
Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them
how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the