[SWLUG] Broadband

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jan 22 09:47:10 UTC 2007

On Mon Jan 22 09:30:56 2007, Huw Lynes wrote:
> I'm now in a flat that's only serviced by NTL. The bacndwidth
> (10Mb/s)
> is great but they tend to over-subscribe their DNS servers, so
> sometimes
> the connection will go like treacle.

I've always run my own DNS server - a habit from dialup-days, when
running a DNS server meant a significantly faster connection for
Linux boxes.

Most distributions either include a caching nameserver config in the
nameserver packages, or else make it a seperate package. For Ubuntu
users, just install bind9, for RedHat-like users, I think
caching-nameserver will do the trick.

You can fiddle a bit and set up bind so it'll try NTL's servers
before falling back to using the root servers directly if you like.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/