[SWLUG] Broadband

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 11:02:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 09:30, Huw Lynes wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 14:25 +0000, Kris Zani wrote:
> > NTL ethernet compatible cable modem
> > connected to a linux box which acts runs: DNS, NAT, Sendmail etc
> > and that serves my windows boxes as a gateway and Samba server
> >
> > other port of linux box is connected to a hub which connects to all
> > the clients
> > and i have a wireless router daisy chained to the hub
> >
> > so NTL rocks for that stuff, you do need to ring them to initialise it
> > though as they
> > use custom windows software for registration.
> >

> I used to use Zen up until I moved house recently. Their service was
> very good. But you pay for it.
>
> I'm now in a flat that's only serviced by NTL. The bacndwidth (10Mb/s)
> is great but they tend to over-subscribe their DNS servers, so sometimes
> the connection will go like treacle.
>
> In order to set up an NTL cable modem I found this page to be very
> helpful.
> http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index_vp.php?id=60&c=14
> but really all you need is to point your browser at:
> https://autoreg.autoregister.net/start.html
> once you've connected to the modem over ethernet.
>
> took me about ten minutes while the chap was connecting up my TV.
>

> As others have said I massively recommend getting a router. It's much
> less hassle than dealing with an ADSL modem.
>
> Huw

I am currently using NTHELL for my broadband. I am planning to change,
but there are a number of things I need to sort out before I start
fiddling with my internet connections.

Am thinking of Andrews and Arnold. I'd prefer a smaller firm that
actually knows what they are doing.

I have found NTL's customer service utterly dreadful. I have been
overcharged, subscribed to services I never asked for and I find their
call centre staff clueless. Actually to be fair the last time I did
actually speak to someone who understood me but he was the exception.

I rather suspect that the job of being in one of their call centres is
rather stressful and there is a high turnover and consequently many
people are inexperienced.

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk