[SWLUG] Broadband

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 23:53:18 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 19/01/07, Davage, Marcus <Marcus.Davage at lloydstsb.co.uk> wrote:

>  I'm finally considering the possibility of dipping my toe in the
> customer-service-quagmire of broadband, having just-about-had-it-up-to-here
> with dialup. (That, and my phone call provider has hiked its prices up
> again.)

You'll never turn back!

>  I would like your opinions on what phone call/broadband provider you have
> and how good they are (and how linux-compatible they are), and what
> modem/router/firewall you have, and how linux-compatible that is.

We're using Zen - totally brilliant customer service compared with the
service all of my mates/colleagues are getting, but high prices too. My
signal to noise ratio on a 512/256 DSL line is less than 20dB. It took three
visits from BT engineers to get my Draytek to connect at all (including much
firmware updating). Zen organised the whole thing without turning a hair. BT
tried to stitch me up, but that wasn't Zen's fault. In short, recommended.
The support bods mostly have a clue about Linux, they don't give a hoot if
you run a server on the end of your line, and if your account is 'uncapped'
they mean it (but they don't seem to sell those anymore - our account is two
years old). I run two servers and regular big torrent sessions and they've
never been bothered, even if the line is flat-out for 48 hours straight.

I've been running a Draytek 2600 (died in a storm recently) and now a
Speedtouch 585. Since they both have Ethernet switches, Linux compatibility
isn't really an issue - they both work just fine. I was running IPCop, but
now I just use the Speedtouch's firewall - easy for basic port forwarding
etc, but the command line isn't very friendly after the Draytek.

>  Is this too much to ask?

It would be for NTL. :-)

Regards,

Glenn.