[SWLUG] BBC's "iPlayer"

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 08:27:18 UTC 2007

On 28/06/07, Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:

> Well of course, supporting Windows makes business sense.  But the BBC is
> not really a business in the strictest sense since it is licence funded
> and has a charter which requires that it doesn't restrict content too
> much...

i can't remember if the beeb was releasing videos in the early 80s,
but it makes me wonder if they would have supported Betamax as well as
VHS.  Also, are they releasing content in BlueRay/HD? i'm guessing
they're not (well not as much) - so it is market share/business.

predictably, my only concern is the license fee in relation to
interwebetry broadcasting.

i did like the beeb archive trial, however, you can go on youtube and
watch news reports from years gone by... :)