[SWLUG] BBC's "iPlayer"

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Jun 28 08:33:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Gerald Davies wrote:

> i can't remember if the beeb was releasing videos in the early 80s,
> but it makes me wonder if they would have supported Betamax as well as
> VHS.  Also, are they releasing content in BlueRay/HD? i'm guessing
> they're not (well not as much) - so it is market share/business.

I think that's rather different since BBC's VHS/DVD products have always
been commerical (i.e. you pay for them) whereas I understand that iPlayer
will be free and not supported by adverts, so it's funded out of the
licence fee.

As a side note - why does iEveryone feel the need to iPrefix iEverything
with an "i" these iDays?

--

  - Steve