[SWLUG] BBC's "iPlayer"

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Jun 28 11:19:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Gerald Davies wrote:

> i can see why they've done it.  the only thing i find amusing is that
> a lot of people moan, but don't come up with answers/alternatives.
> what would *you* have done?

I would release the content in a Free format after the user reads a
licence stating that they cannot distribute the content (as copyright
would still apply) and impose an IP address based access control system to
prevent access from outside the UK.

Sure, people can ignore the copyright.  But they can ignore the copyright
on the original transmission or on the DVD release too.  The access
controls could be worked around by someone running a proxy to rebroadcast
the content, but again - that's covered by copyright laws.  They don't
feel the need to restrict the DVB-S transport streams (and indeed, they
are pushing for unencrypted streams) which could equally be rebroadcast
over the internet is someone chooses to ignore the law, so why should
they need to protect this content?

I don't see the reason why content distributed over the internet needs to
be DRM'd but content delivered over DVB-S and DVB-T can be sent in the
clear - both types of distribution suffer the same problems.

--

  - Steve