[SWLUG] BBC's "iPlayer"

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Jun 28 11:37:58 UTC 2007

On Thu Jun 28 09:27:18 2007, Gerald Davies wrote:
> i can't remember if the beeb was releasing videos in the early 80s,
> but it makes me wonder if they would have supported Betamax as well
> as
> VHS.  Also, are they releasing content in BlueRay/HD? i'm guessing
> they're not (well not as much) - so it is market share/business.

Or, you could look to earlier parallels. BBC TV started off with the
30-line Baird system, moving later to alternating between the (then
240-line) Baird system and the newer EMI/Marconi 405-line system -
Baird's was dropped in '37, the 405-line apparently continued up
until '85, before only the 625-line PAL system remained, up until DVB
started, when once again, multiple systems are deployed and in use.
And guess what - the old PAL system will, eventually, be dropped too.

Basically, the BBC is, I think, trying to reach the maximum audience
with the minimum outlay of its public funds, which seems like a
reasonable start. Given their history with TV broadcasting, I'm quite
sure they'll get something else for Mac and Linux users, if they
decide there's sufficient market.

I suspect they've picked the choice of technology here simply to use
a proven technology - it's the same one that Channel 4 have used for
their 4oD service, after all. (Both being, of course, publically
owned channels, with largely similar remits, albeit with different
funding models).

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/