[SWLUG] unable to mount external pci drive

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Mon May 28 15:54:28 UTC 2007

On Mon, 28 May 2007, STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU wrote:

> During boot up I do see "Starting pcmcia OK".
>
> I have an external cdrom that connects to the laptop in this manner.
> Before I connect this device I have the following entries

First of all, it's important to know if it's a PCMCIA device or a CardBus
device - whilest they plug into the same slot, they are handled quite
differently.  AFAIK CardBus devices don't require any "card services"
software and just appear to be hot-pluggable PCI devices.

> After I insert the cdrom I hear a little click from the external cdrom
> and the cd inside does rotate, but no new icon appears in devices for me
> to double click.
>
> However, after insertion fdisk reveals the same information.  I am not
> sure what to do now.

Fdisk isn't going to know much about CD ROM devices since CDs have no
partition table.

Your distribution may try to automount the device - in which case, try
typing "mount" and see if it shows up.  Otherwise you will have to mount
it yourself with something like "mount /dev/hdc /mnt".

Another good place to look is the kernel message buffer - type "dmesg" and
look for any relevant messages.

--

  - Steve