[SWLUG] Mandriva and Networking (perhaps not with Samba)

Stephen stephanos at writeme.com
Fri Sep 28 22:11:25 UTC 2007

Dear All

I now have Mandriva 2007 on the PC - duel booting with XP and Mandriva
2006 on the laptop (not duel boot).

When the Dell has Mandriva booted I do not know what I have to do to see
each others file systems.  Normally I use SAMBA, which is present on
both to see Windows <---> Linux.  But this is Linux <----> Linux.

I used Konqueror to look in Services > LAN browser but there was nothing
there.  Not on either machine.

When I started SAMBA, the Dell could see the IP of the laptop but the
laptop cold not see the IP of the Dell.  Both could see the networked
(ethernet) printer.  When I used SAMBA on the Dell to try and mount what
I think was the laptop I got a message that the share could not be
mounted.  (4379: tree connect failed: ERRDOS -ERRnosuchshare (You
specified an invalid share name)). It was then that I realised I did not
understand what "Shares" are.

I turned the firewall off both off as well.

Any advice appreciated

Stephen