[SWLUG] Mandriva and Networking (perhaps not with Samba)

Paul G. Richardson p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 11:55:19 UTC 2007

Linux <----> Linux shares do not need to use samba (although you can).
You can set up shares using NFS (quick google brought up this ->
http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?p=358404&sid=4299b48d3bace3ad6fdb77effd11e61c
which might give you some idea where to start) or you can use sshfs
which sets up encrypted remote filesystems
(http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html) which are more secure than NFS.

Try setting up an ssh (if not already) connection between the 2
machines. If you can establish that connection then sshfs is fairly
trivial to set up thereafter.

Mind save you some hassle.

Regards

PGR

Stephen wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I now have Mandriva 2007 on the PC - duel booting with XP and Mandriva
> 2006 on the laptop (not duel boot).
>
> When the Dell has Mandriva booted I do not know what I have to do to see
> each others file systems.  Normally I use SAMBA, which is present on
> both to see Windows <---> Linux.  But this is Linux <----> Linux.
>
> I used Konqueror to look in Services > LAN browser but there was nothing
> there.  Not on either machine.
>
> When I started SAMBA, the Dell could see the IP of the laptop but the
> laptop cold not see the IP of the Dell.  Both could see the networked
> (ethernet) printer.  When I used SAMBA on the Dell to try and mount what
> I think was the laptop I got a message that the share could not be
> mounted.  (4379: tree connect failed: ERRDOS -ERRnosuchshare (You
> specified an invalid share name)). It was then that I realised I did not
> understand what "Shares" are.
>
> I turned the firewall off both off as well.
>
> Any advice appreciated
>
> Stephen

- --
P.G. Richardson

Email: p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk

- ---

"There is no present or future, only the past
happening over and over again now."
Eugene O'Neille

"History is the nightmare from which I am trying
to awake."
James Joyce