[SWLUG] Diagnosing router problems

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 15:50:35 UTC 2008

Matt Willsher wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Can an yone advise me how I can rule out a router problem?
>> At present this my windows box is connecting to the net but my linux
>> machine is not.
>> Te router has several sets of lights but only one pair is lit, which
>> seems to correspond with the windows machine.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Is the Linux box cabled to the router or wireless? If cabled, replace
> the cable and see if that works.
>
> More information about your set up would be useful...
>

> Two computers one Running Mandriva 2008 other Win XP. connected to Cable Modem TPlink TP-R490 Router by Cable.

At present this XP computer is working. Although isn't always. It is up
and down like a yoyo. The linux one isn't
 working at least every time I go into the next room it isn't. I have
tried by passing the router and plugging the line from the cable modem
into the linux box and it does not work even after rebooting. Everything
is cabled together not wireless. This suggests a

The big problem is that it is intermittent. Virgin's engineer is either
going to find it working or that I am running a non-standard system.that
is unsupported.

Neil