[SWLUG] FW: Diagnosing router problems

mathieu ward iamhifi at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 16:21:45 UTC 2008

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:50:35 +0000From: neil at nwjones.demon.co.ukTo: discuss at swlug.org.ukSubject: Re: [SWLUG] Diagnosing router problemsMatt Willsher wrote:
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Can an yone advise me how I can rule out a router problem?
At present this my windows box is connecting to the net but my linux
machine is not.
Te router has several sets of lights but only one pair is lit, which
seems to correspond with the windows machine.

Any ideas?
    Is the Linux box cabled to the router or wireless? If cabled, replace
the cable and see if that works.

More information about your set up would be useful...

Two computers one Running Mandriva 2008 other Win XP. connected to Cable Modem TPlink TP-R490 Router by Cable.

At present this XP computer is working. Although isn't always. It is up and down like a yoyo. The linux one isn't working at least every time I go into the next room it isn't. I have tried by passing the router and plugging the line from the cable modem into the linux box and it does not work even after rebooting. Everything is cabled together not wireless. This suggests a The big problem is that it is intermittent. Virgin's engineer is either going to find it working or that I am running a non-standard system.that is unsupported.Neil

hi NeilLet me see if i under stand this, even if you connect your linux box direct to the cable modem bypassing the router
you are still unable to connect to the internet?  if so are you sure the ethernet scocket on your linux machine's mother board is fully operational or that you have working drivers?

Regards,

Mathieu

As for Virgin i can't say their's is the smothest service all the time, and customer service is lacking in areas. But i have some issuses using a router on my home system that causes the router to crash and needs to be reset ( crash frequency depends on ammount of traffic, more traffic upstream = more crashes)
Get Windows Live Messenger on your Mobile
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000001ukm/direct/01/