[SWLUG] FW: Diagnosing router problems

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 16:35:43 UTC 2008

mathieu ward wrote:

>     Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:50:35 +0000
>     From: neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
>     To: discuss at swlug.org.uk
>     Subject: Re: [SWLUG] Diagnosing router problems
>

>     Matt Willsher wrote:
>
>         On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> <mailto:neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>             Can an yone advise me how I can rule out a router problem?
>             At present this my windows box is connecting to the net but my linux
>             machine is not.
>             Te router has several sets of lights but only one pair is lit, which
>             seems to correspond with the windows machine.
>
>             Any ideas?
>

>         Is the Linux box cabled to the router or wireless? If cabled, replace
>         the cable and see if that works.
>
>         More information about your set up would be useful...
>

>         Two computers one Running Mandriva 2008 other Win XP. connected to Cable Modem TPlink TP-R490 Router by Cable.
>

>     At present this XP computer is working. Although isn't always. It
>     is up and down like a yoyo. The linux one isn't
>      working at least every time I go into the next room it isn't. I
>     have tried by passing the router and plugging the line from the
>     cable modem into the linux box and it does not work even after
>     rebooting. Everything is cabled together not wireless. This
>     suggests a
>
>     The big problem is that it is intermittent. Virgin's engineer is
>     either going to find it working or that I am running a
>     non-standard system.that is unsupported.
>

>     Nei
>

> hi Neil
>
> Let me see if i under stand this, even if you connect your linux box
> direct to the cable modem bypassing the router
> you are still unable to connect to the internet?  if so are you sure
> the ethernet scocket on your linux machine's mother board is fully
> operational or that you have working drivers?
>

> Regards,
>
> Mathieu
>
> As for Virgin i can't say their's is the smothest service all the
> time, and customer service is lacking in areas. But i have some
> issuses using a router on my home system that causes the router to
> crash and needs to be reset ( crash frequency depends on ammount of
> traffic, more traffic upstream = more crashes)
Well the drivers should be OK since I have changed nothing recently.The
socket should be OK as I haven't changed it.

However a problem with the linux box wouldn't explain the symptoms with
the Windows box. I hadn't even tested the linux box since this problem
started.
I have been out a lot since this problem started and I have been using
software which will only run  on windows a lot recently. I am also able
to test the operation of the windows box more often because it is right
next to my bed. I can surf and read my email without getting out from
under the duvet if I have to.
I have tried it several times in the middle of the night to rule out
traffic congestion issues. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and
this can change at random.
I can try it at 4 am and it doesn't work and again at 6 and it does and
I have done nothing since I am still in bed.

The problem is that the virgin support seems to have a standard answer
of "your equipment is faulty i'll send out an engineer". I'd rather find
and fix the problem first if it is at my end since that is what I will
have to do anyway since they do not support my equipment.