[SWLUG] Router mystery deepens

Jonathan Wright jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 23:42:50 UTC 2008

Neil Jones wrote:
> For clarity let me describe things clearly again. The set up is two PCS
> On running Mandriva Linux and one Win XP.
> Connected to Virgin by an old silver Cable modem and a router..
> There are two symptoms
> One the windows Box looses all connectivity to the net at random
> intervals. The internet is just not there. At one time I can view Tv
> programs via
> Iplayer and later I cannot so much as get ping to work. As dead as the dodo.
> Two the linux box never seems to have any connectivity.

When you say you cannot even ping, does this include internally on the network (i.e. ping the router, or another device connected, such as a desktop or laptop), or are you only trying to ping out through the modem?

As with the Linux box, do you have mii-diag installed - what output does it give? For example, I get:

jonathan on jonathan [ ~ ] --> sudo mii-diag
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Basic registers of MII PHY #0: (snip)
 The autonegotiated capability is 01e0.
The autonegotiated media type is 100baseTx-FD.
 Basic mode control register 0x1140: Auto-negotiation enabled.
 You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
 Your link partner advertised 45e1: Flow-control 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD 10baseT, w/ 802.3X flow control.
   End of basic transceiver information.

when connected, and

jonathan on jonathan [ ~ ] --> sudo mii-diag
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Basic registers of MII PHY #0:  1140 7909 02a8 0390 0de1 0000 0004 2801.
 Basic mode control register 0x1140: Auto-negotiation enabled.
 Basic mode status register 0x7909 ... 7909.
   Link status: not established.
   End of basic transceiver information.

disconnected. What messages are in dmesg?

--
Jonathan Wright

 e: jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
 w: http://netwrker.co.uk/

 cat /dev/random
  » you never know, you may see something you like!

 (sent from home...)
--
This e-mail has been sent to a select person or group of individuals. If you have received this, you can generally imply that it was meant for you and therefore you can read it, unless it doesn't make sense in which case if probably wasn't. Either way, if your unsure, delete this e-mail and destroy anything it came in contact with, including, but not limited to, items such has hard drives, processors and just about anything else inside a computer. Once done, please let us know so it can be prevented from happening again (although by this point you'll probably have to call).

The sender is not responsible for anything in this e-mail or for it's delivery or (non) receipt. The Internet is a wonderful place where time and space seam to get lost and distorted. If you received a reply before you sent the e-mail, don't worry. It probably means we're in a different time-zone to you. Adjust your computer's clock to compensate.

We also exclude any liability for any damage (or similar) that results from this e-mail. However, if you do end up making a few quid I am happy to receive a share of the profits - Postal Orders happily accepted.

Finally, any comments and/or opinions that happen to be expressed in the mess of text above are those of my keyboard - I may sit and tell it what to write but ultimately it must bear responsibility for it's actions.

Thank you for taking the time to read our e-mail and I hope you will reply to it soon!