[SWLUG] Read only messages on boot

neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 19:08:25 UTC 2008

After this weeks problems, I have a new hdd in my machine. I am now running Debian. However I just had an odd experience on booting. Rather similarly to the old disk I had messages about files being read-only when booting. The boot then just stopped. I reset the machine and it booted up fine.

Can I find things in my logs that can help with the diagnosis? If so what? I have looked without much success.

I am concerned that the problem may be in the disk controller or something. Not actually the disk drive itself. But one problem booting isn't quite enough evidence.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far. The idea of a HDD in a housing is a brilliant one.

Neil