[SWLUG] What is going on?

swlug swlug at alicious.com
Wed Feb 20 00:42:28 UTC 2008

neil wrote:
> On boot I got these messages.
>
> The hard disk is brand new. I replaced the old disk because of errors.
>
> What is going on? It looks as if it is unlikely it is the disk.
>
> I am now running mandriva 2008
>
> Feb 19 14:00:09 localhost kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51
> { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Feb 19 14:00:10 localhost kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84
> { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> Feb 19 14:00:10 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> Feb 19 14:00:12 localhost kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51
> { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Feb 19 14:00:12 localhost kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84
> { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> Feb 19 14:00:12 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> Feb 19 14:00:12 localhost kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51
> { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Feb 19 14:00:12 localhost kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84
> { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> Feb 19 14:00:12 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>
> Neil
*[Short version, read bold]*

The only similar thing I've had was following a kernel update (compile)
on my Slackware box (when 11 came out I think). I'd get a huge slew of
dma errors and would have to forceably enable dma (using hdparm in the
/etc/rc.d/rc.local script) for my drives.

People told me "your drive is dying change it quick" but SMART reported
the drive was fine (though people easily misinterpret the results of
SMART output). Has lasted probably 2 years at least since those errors.
I traced it to a mismatch in the geometry of the drive that caused a
read at lastSector+1. See
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/hd-weirdness-dma-wont-stay-on-480425/page2.html

One suggestion on that list was PSU (power supply) is bad: I did end up
changing the power supply (it just plain died) but new PSU didn't make
the errors go away.

However, do check your Smart data, don't ever recall BadCRC (cyclic
redundancy check, an error checking routine) errors. *Does that disk run
fine in another system, howabout checking it with knoppix? Same errors?*

*Be safe, backup!*

pbhj