[SWLUG] What is going on?

Mark Henderson mark at standardblue.org.uk
Tue Feb 19 22:52:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:13:58 -0000, neil <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On boot I got these messages.
>
> The hard disk is brand new. I replaced the old disk because of errors.
>
> What is going on? It looks as if it is unlikely it is the disk.
>
> I am now running mandriva 2008
>
> Feb 19 14:00:09 localhost kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51
> { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Feb 19 14:00:10 localhost kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84
> { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> Feb 19 14:00:10 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> Feb 19 14:00:12 localhost kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51
> { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Feb 19 14:00:12 localhost kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84
> { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> Feb 19 14:00:12 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> Feb 19 14:00:12 localhost kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51
> { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Feb 19 14:00:12 localhost kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84
> { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> Feb 19 14:00:12 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>
> Neil

Hi Neil,

I saw very similar on my system tonight. (But I don't think it's seasonal!)

Here's what I think caused it:

I have a DVD-ROM on secondary master (hdc). Secondary slave (hdd) is
normally unused, but is conneted up to a harddrive caddy for using as
backups. I'd been fiddling around with stuff, and had disabled the
secondary master in the BIOS. Therefore, when I put my caddy in tonight, I
got messages similar to yours above. I'm wondering if it's because the
caddy drive was expecting the DVD to be present at BIOS POST. With the
BIOS not bothering with the DVD, the harddrive might have expected to be
set as CS or Master, and not jumpered as it is as Slave. I *think*
(wonder?) then, because Linux (AFAIK) largely ignores any drive detection
in the BIOS, it handled hdc & hdd as normal which caused the harddrive to
have a minor hissy fit. FWIW, the drive still worked/mounted/etc fine.

It might be worth checking jumper settings of the new drive (and anything
else on the same IDE channel) and verifying that things appear correctly
in the BIOS.

FWIW, I'm on Slackware 12.0

HTH,
Mark