[SWLUG] UPS recommendations?

Jonathan Wright jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 14:37:48 UTC 2008

Mark Summerfield wrote:
> I thought I'd start the new year with excess paranoia, so I was
> wondering if anyone had experience of/recommendations regarding UPS
> systems?

I've had alot of success with APC over the years, including their
Back-UPS range, with using standard UK plugs, rather than kettle
sockets, as the power source, so you can plug anything you want into
them. Generally, half the sockets are battery backed up with the other
half just surge protected.

I've one running my server, switch, router and wireless access point
without problems and they're fine with Linux (either Serial, USB or
Network communications) - acpupsd provides support for that.

Their website has good documentation for load levels, although it's work
noting that generally with UPS, if you half the load you quadruple the
time the box will support, so the larger you go, the much better the
run-time.

--
Jonathan Wright

  e: jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
  w: http://netwrker.co.uk/

  cat /dev/random
   » you never know, you may see something you like!

  (sent from home...)