[SWLUG] UPS recommendations?

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Jan 7 14:51:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Jonathan Wright wrote:

> I've had alot of success with APC over the years, including their
> Back-UPS range, with using standard UK plugs, rather than kettle
> sockets, as the power source, so you can plug anything you want into
> them. Generally, half the sockets are battery backed up with the other
> half just surge protected.

The one problem I've had with the Back-UPS devices is that (in my
experience) if you overload them it triggers an "overload" buzzer and the
only way to reset it is to power off the whole device (and all your
equipment).  Other than that, no issues with them at all.

Although I will point out that im my experience, stupidity with UPSes
seems far more frequent than power cuts (I point at an old boss who
decided to test the UPS by pulling the external power... and then 2
seconds later realised the batteries were well and truely dead as an
entire 42U rack powered down in the middle of the working day :)

  - Steve