[SWLUG] UPS recommendations?

Jonathan Wright jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 15:34:20 UTC 2008

Steve Hill wrote:
> The one problem I've had with the Back-UPS devices is that (in my
> experience) if you overload them it triggers an "overload" buzzer and
> the only way to reset it is to power off the whole device (and all your
> equipment).  Other than that, no issues with them at all.

Admittedly, I've never really pushed them as they just run a few basic
items and an old desktop now masquerading as a server! :) However an old
500VA model could keep them running for about 35 minutes, which was
great with an old move as it continued running and I kept my uptime! ;)

> Although I will point out that im my experience, stupidity with UPSes
> seems far more frequent than power cuts (I point at an old boss who
> decided to test the UPS by pulling the external power... and then 2
> seconds later realised the batteries were well and truely dead as an
> entire 42U rack powered down in the middle of the working day :)

Measure twice, cut once springs to mind! :D

--
Jonathan Wright

  e: jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
  w: http://netwrker.co.uk/

  cat /dev/random
   » you never know, you may see something you like!

  (sent from home...)