[SWLUG] Networking options

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 00:23:29 UTC 2008

Neil Jones wrote:
> What are my options here.
>
> My current set up has a single dual boot system connected to Virgin
> Media's Broadband.
>
> I need to connect another PC ( with a more modern version of Windows on
> it) to the internet. I need to run a critical piece of software now and
> again that isn't available for linux yet.
>
> I am considering sticking another card in my linux box and running a
> cable to the windows box so that it can connect to the net.
>
> Is this the best option? Are there any other simple ones?

Depends on your budget.  Your way you need both PCs on to connect to the
net bumping up your power usage and electricity bill.  I'm on Virgin and
and I use a 4 port router.  The one I have is £40+pnp from
www.scan.co.uk but they vary widely in price.  To do it your way you'd
also need to configure the Windows PC to use the Linux box as your
gateway, and the Linux box to allow the Windows box to do that.  Sounds
like a lot of hassle to me TBH.

With the router you just plug the modem into the WAN port both PCs into
LAN ports using Cat5 patch cables and you're away :)  You *could* even
use WiFi and get rid of cables altogether.  Depends on your belief in
WiFi security though.

Kind regards,

Julian