[SWLUG] Networking options

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 12:20:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 00:23 +0000, Julian Hall wrote:
> Neil Jones wrote:
> > What are my options here.
> >
> > My current set up has a single dual boot system connected to Virgin
> > Media's Broadband.
> >
> > I need to connect another PC ( with a more modern version of Windows on
> > it) to the internet. I need to run a critical piece of software now and
> > again that isn't available for linux yet.
> >
> > I am considering sticking another card in my linux box and running a
> > cable to the windows box so that it can connect to the net.
> >
> > Is this the best option? Are there any other simple ones?
> >
> Depends on your budget.  Your way you need both PCs on to connect to the
> net bumping up your power usage and electricity bill.  I'm on Virgin and
> and I use a 4 port router.  The one I have is £40+pnp from
> www.scan.co.uk but they vary widely in price.  To do it your way you'd
> also need to configure the Windows PC to use the Linux box as your
> gateway, and the Linux box to allow the Windows box to do that.  Sounds
> like a lot of hassle to me TBH.
>
> With the router you just plug the modem into the WAN port both PCs into
> LAN ports using Cat5 patch cables and you're away :)  You *could* even
> use WiFi and get rid of cables altogether.  Depends on your belief in
> WiFi security though.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

I don't think I'd go for the wifi option. But the router idea looks
better only 27 quid from Amazon and I haven't researched others yet.

I have one question though. When I first connected to Virgin( it was NTL
in those days.) I had to have a pink disk to put software on my Windows
98 system in order to connect. I can't put my hands on it now.

Would I need it to get the Windows machine connected?

I don't think that I want to go the software route as it sounds fiddly
and my machine is so old and low powered that I don't think it could
cope. Disk space would be a big issue too.

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk