[SWLUG] Failed Raid 1

Christopher Mitchell cm at mitch-net.com
Tue Jan 22 21:32:33 UTC 2008

Justin Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 19:04 +0000, Christopher Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Tools you will need
>>
>> Get MHDD from here
>> http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/   (Either Floppy
>> or MagicBoot CD)
>> Get R-Studio from all good places of "free" stuff (there's a windows AND
>> a linux version)
>>
> or you could try using some actually free software
> e.g.
>
> Sleuthkit & Autopsy from http://www.sleuthkit.org
> which are gpl tools for forensics and file recovery.
>
> Foremost from http://foremost.sourceforge.net/
> which can extra files from a raw disk by identifying their format
>

> and you can find all these tools and more together on a linux live cd
> such as:
>
> DEFT  http://deft.yourside.it/
> Helix  http://www.e-fense.com/helix/
> PenguinSleuth http://penguinsleuth.org/
>
> those will boot and run the software direct from cd without having to
> install anything.

Meh, Do what you like re: which software to use, but there is a reason
that we as a large data recovery company use R-Studio as our primary
recovery software.
and there are a load of boot CDs with it installed.
If the drive is just a simple recovery (no bad sectors, heads not
failing) try whatever you like, but if the drives are physically
failing, then burning them with a piece of software; that might not
work, will just shorten their life.

oh and MHDD is freeware.