[SWLUG] Announcing apertium-cy-en pre-alpha

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 20:00:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 13:29 +0100, Jimmy O'Regan wrote:
> 2008/6/30 Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk>:

> > Interesting project. It is quite a challenge to get it working I'll bet.
> >

> Well, the most complicated part was initial mutation - our system was
> designed originally for romance languages, so there are a few
> challenges involved for any non-romance language, but not really as
> many as you might think. That said, it's early days yet :)
>
> > Well it obviously isn't working perfectly yet but it isn't disastrous.
> > The biggest problem seems to be lack of vocabulary. There is an
> > infamously broken translator called intertran that is live on the web
> > and that people have actually used to translate road and shop signs.
>
> Yes, we're quite aware of that one, and were amused that, though we
> have very few transfer rules (less than 30; our Catalan-English
> translator, for example, has something like 200) we still got better
> results from ours than from intertran :)

> > When I tell you that at one time it was translating apostrophe N. ('n)
> > an essential part of many present tense Welsh sentences as "Heartburn",
>
> <spectie>     Mae'r heddlu hefyd yn ymchwilio i honiadau ei bod hi'n
> cael perthynas â dyn llawer hŷn.
> <spectie>     the police Are then investigating his allegations be she
> getting relation with older many man.
> <spectie>     "He ' is being group police force also crookedly
> ymchwiliad I claims you go be she ' heartburn have relation he goes
> tight much hn & #375." (InterTran)
>
> Ours is the first, though I think I've corrected the case problem
> since he harvested that example :)

Intertran  produces results rather like the famous Hungarian Phrase Book
Sketch that the Monty Python team did.

I have just come across an even worse problem a commercial translation
program that does Chinese to English and keeps putting the F-word into
English texts that appear on signs!

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005195.html

> > you'll understand the level of the problem. It turned "cyclists
> > dismount" into "inflammation of the bladder overturn" and "staff and
> > pupils' entrance" into "stick and pupils thrown into a trance". Those
> > are real signs that have appeared around Wales.
> >
> > Having said that human translations often are not much better. We have
> > nitwits around who think you can translate with a pocket dictionary.
> > You get things like shops selling "traffic jam and marmalade" and
> > whisky labelled "ghosts" instead of spirits.
> >

> Oh, thank God! We often get unrealistic expectations from people who
> fail to bear this in mind! Thank you for restoring my faith in
> humanity :D
>
> >  My favourite at present has to be a set of notices in Swansea put up by
> > the Police with their phone number on them. The English says "No
> > parking. Tow away zone." and a hyper polite translation of the Welsh is
> > "No parking. Masturbation zone". Flickr has hundreds of examples from
> > all around Wales in an area called Sgymraeg.
> >
> > This web page is part of the local Welsh Language Society website and
> > you can see the tow away sign there.
> >
> > http://www.tyrfe.com/Tafod/enghreifftiau.htm

You can see someone blogging about it in English here
ttp://miserableoldfart.blogspot.com/2008/07/wankers-need-welsh-language-act.html

Sorry about the bad language in the link.

> > A few problems I have noticed. Your translator doesn't cope with some of
> > the verbs properly and there is a problem with a peculiar genitive
> > construction.
> >

> Yes; we're working on the verbs; other things, we have to basically
> wait until Welsh speakers come to our IRC channel and throw questions
> at them (#apertium on irc.freenode.net for the masochistic). The main
> problem is that, the work is being done by another of our developers,
> with a few minor contributions from me, and neither of us speak Welsh
> (though he at least lived in Wales, and has access to Welsh speakers;
> I'm Irish, so once everything has been abstracted to the level of
> types of words, the grammar is mostly the same as Irish). We can get
> it working, but it would be a lot quicker if we had more contributions
> from Welsh speakers.
I'd be happy to help but I don't fancy hanging about on IRC all day.