[SWLUG] Wretched microsoft

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Fri Jul 11 09:17:28 UTC 2008

2008/7/11 Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org>:

> ZoneAlarm?  Fragile?  Never! :)
> (ZoneAlarm is one of the biggest pieces of crap I have ever had the
> misfortune to encounter..  I wiped it out from my Dad's windows machine
> ages ago and turned on the MS firewall instead.

The built-in Windows XP firewall was introduced with, what was it,
SP1? I remember, at the time, discovering that it was the biggest
piece of crap etc. For years ZoneAlarm was the best there was on offer
and it might still be the case if you connect directly to the
internet. If you're behind some form of firewall, like from a wireless
router, it's worth ditching and going to the lighter weight MS
offering - as members of my family have gone from dial-up and direct
connections to NATed routers and things, I've switched over their
firewalls one by one.

I think the blame can fall back to Microsoft for shipping XP in such
an insecure state in the first place, requiring people to find a
firewall solution that they've not changed over the years.

Steve

--
Irregular Shed - http://www.twindx.com
09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0