[SWLUG] Wretched microsoft

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Jul 11 09:42:17 UTC 2008

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Steve Anderson wrote:

> For years ZoneAlarm was the best there was on offer
> and it might still be the case if you connect directly to the
> internet.

It broke too much in my experience, seemed to be designed to scare the
crap out of the user (presumably to prompt them to upgrade to the paid-for
version) and generally fell into the classic Windows trap of believing
that popping up a question every 2 minutes, that the user probably doesn't
understand, is the best way to get security.  But each to their own. :)

> I think the blame can fall back to Microsoft for shipping XP in such
> an insecure state in the first place, requiring people to find a
> firewall solution that they've not changed over the years.

There I agree with you.  And frankly, my opinion is that you should not
need a personal firewall - if you do, your system has been designed
insecurely.  If you have to block access to a service your computer is
running, I have to ask the question: why the hell was the service
configured to accept the connections in the first place.  Far better to
secure the services so they don't accept connections from all over the
place than leave them insecure and have a firewall cover the insecurities.

  - Steve