[SWLUG] ADSL Routers.

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Jun 24 11:27:26 UTC 2008

On Tue Jun 24 11:31:25 2008, Matt Willsher wrote:
> While on the subject of routers/modems, I've been looking for a
> basic modem
> (not router) for a while but not been able to find one that I'm
> sure will do
> the job. I'm after something with a good ADSL/ADSL2+ chipset and
> allows
> half-bridging (Firewall>PPPoE>modem>PPPoA>ISP

Most "routers" will do that job.

>  or
> Firewall<DHCP<modem>PPPoA>ISP).

And that's basiclly a product of Evil Bridging, and is basically
acting as a router.

>  The modem musn't expose itself to the
> internet

That will happen in the second case.

>  and I'd like SNMP for monitoring, preferably with the ability to
> monitor line quality etc. in addition to the usual MIBs. Any
> suggests
> gratefully accepted.

AFAIK, RFC 2662 and RFC 4706 aren't available with NET-SNMP, but
those are the ones you probably want.

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/adslmib/ is the (still active) working group
making those, and apparently implementations of at least 2662 do
exist. I suspect you'll find those are provider-side, though.

Let me know if you find something.

Dave. (Cheerfully still using an original Speedtouch slug).
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/