[SWLUG] Switching to a BT line. Effects?

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Wed Jun 25 15:36:32 UTC 2008

2008/6/25 Chris King <swlug at csking.co.uk>:

> Extension wiring is THE most common cause of ADSL faults, so if you can
> take that out of the equation, so much the better.

All of Chris's advice is spot-on. It's worth remembering that Cat5e or
Cat6 cables are far more resilient than voice lines are (both in terms
of physical robustness and for data reliability) so you're better off
having the modem next to the master socket and running some good
quality Cat6 to where you need it than plugging your modem into a
socket on the end of a floppy, weak cable. Check the noise profile you
get on your modem's control panel to see the difference. Ethernet
cables are shielded and in twisted pairs, reducing interference, which
is why in big offices you can see hundreds of them going into a server
room without problems from crosstalk - it's also why you can, although
you shouldn't really, get away with having them snake around near
mains cables with a 50Hz hum killing your connection.

As Chris said, the crackling on the line is a voice fault, and it was
that which resulted in discovering the corroded terminals in my house.

Steve

--
Irregular Shed - http://www.twindx.com
09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0