[SWLUG] Ubuntu/KDE lost internet connectivity-KNetworkManager etc

Rich Colquhoun clearnitesky at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 19 15:30:53 UTC 2008

I've tried googling your apparent compiling issue and from what I can find it seems pretty unique... You may wish to try filing a bug report to the ubuntu team. But I'm stumped, it seems quite bizarre.

Have you tried running Wireless Assistant from the command line, to see what errors that spits out? What kind of wireless card do you have?

Rich Colquhoun <clearnitesky at yahoo.co.uk> wrote: Well it looks like all of those kernels are the same... which kernel headers package do you have installed?

Stephen Constantinou <stephanos at writeme.com> wrote: Dear Rich

Thanks for the interest.  I know the route/gateway and DNS settings but
cannot set them as KNetworkManager's Manual configuration is not
appearing.  I cannot connect to the Internet with CAT5 either.

Although I boot directly into a user, (version 2.6.24-16)I studied the
grub boot loader and have many options
Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-14-generic
Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-14-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 8.04, memtest86+

I tried the third option: Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-14-generic
The mouse did not work and I got a loud  feedback type noise over the
speakers that I could not turn off.

So next I tried: Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
This booted to a memu with three options: resume normal boot, Drop to
shell prompt, try to fix X server.  I was not sure what to do so I
resumed normal boot.

Next was: Ubuntu 8.04. Kernel 2.6.24-14-generic (recovery mode)
This booted to a memu with three options: resume normal boot, Drop to
shell prompt, try to fix X server.  I was not sure what to do so I
resumed normal boot, and got the same feedback noise again

On screen the message says something about not being able to compile
with gcc.  I went looking for this package but it was not installed and
not available either.

At a loss and hoping there is something to be done

Thanks

Stephen

SWLUG Discussion List - Discuss at swlug.org

 Sent from Yahoo! Mail.