[SWLUG] Where have all the syslogs gone?

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Oct 1 09:48:25 UTC 2008

On Wed Oct  1 10:11:30 2008, Terry John wrote:
> But I'm clever and I know about filesystems so I created a new one
> and
> mapped it to /var/log.
> Now your log files can't mess up my MySQL databases I confidently
> declared, but one problem.
> /var/log/messages is no longer being updated. All the other log
> files
> are working fine but not
> this main syslog file. I'm feeling a little dis-communicated.

Are other syslog logfiles being written to?

If so, I'm at a loss. If not, then restarting syslog should magically
make stuff happen, although you'll have new and exciting junk to
clear out from the /var/log/ on the filesystem mounted at /var/, if
you see what I mean - like Andrew says.

lsof may help you figure out if syslogd thinks it has the files open,
by the way.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/