[SWLUG] Where have all the syslogs gone?

Pete Phillips pete at smtl.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 10:08:57 UTC 2008

    Terry> But I'm clever and I know about filesystems so I created a
    Terry> new one and mapped it to /var/log.  Now your log files can't
    Terry> mess up my MySQL databases I confidently declared, but one
    Terry> problem.  /var/log/messages is no longer being updated. All
    Terry> the other log files are working fine but not this main syslog
    Terry> file. I'm feeling a little dis-communicated.

try unmounting /var/log, stopping your syslog daemon (eg:
/etc/init.d/sysklogd stop), mounting /var/log, then restarting the
syslog daemon. However, as other daemons are almost certainly writing to
/var/log (samba, cups etc), you are likely to get problems with them as
well.

as one of the other posts said, it is probably a phasing problem -
try restarting the machine (as that should start everything in the
correct sequence, assuming you have the new /var/log in /etc/fstab)

"have you tried turning it off and back on again ?"

      :-)

Pete