[SWLUG] Result of fdisk -l

swlug swlug at alicious.com
Sun Aug 2 14:58:26 UTC 2009

For some reason Ubu' has set the screen refresh to 28Hz, which is lower
than your screen can handle ("out of range"). Try Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to
a TTY login screen - this uses a different mode and should still work.

You can login and use xrandr to set the resolution in use by x
(http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-adjust-screen-resolution-on-ubuntu.html)
, it only lasts for this session. Then use Ctrl+Alt+F7 to flick back to
X and you should see your Ubuntu desktop, or at least GDM's login dialog.

To make it permanent you can add the xrandr line that works to your
~/.xprofile or to kdm or gdm config files. Though once you've got to
Gnome you should just use the utilities to set it right.

xorg.conf in Ubu' is a sparse file now I think, but I gather you can
still set resolution there to be used, YMMV.

You may also be able to just do Ctrl+Alt+NumpadPlus or NumpadMinus from
your original point but I'd caution against this as it's possible to
attempt to use modes that may damage your monitor (though for you it
seems the monitor is designed to avoid this).

HTH.

pbhj