[SWLUG] Breadboarding Linux systems?

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 31 22:39:51 UTC 2009

Hi Folks,

I have been googling around for a while over the last few days but I
have failed to find something which really must exist.

Someone somewhere must be experimenting with designing their own simple
linux computers.

The  idea in my head is for something with a processor, some ram, some
flash ram, an ethernet port and
some USB  ports. THe flash ram would be used primarily like the CD in a
knoppix like system.
It would probably be best to use one of the ARM processors because they
are low power.

Basically this creates a cut down computer which can be networked and
therefore controlled
from a bigger machine. There are many many uses I can think of.
robotics, webcams looking at birdfeeders.
control systems for a greenhouse, security systems , heating systems. In
short anything that you could do with a computer.
Any extra circuits could use the USB interface, which means they could
be developed on a bigger computer first.

I would be looking to create this on something like a breadboard first
and I am looking around with no luck.
Surely surely someone must be into building their own stuff like this
but I have so far failed to find anyhting like it.
There are a few boards you can buy ready made, but half of the fun is
learning how to do it.

So please does anyone know of anywhere on the web that talks about
breadboarding your own single board computer.

Neil Jones
neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk