[SWLUG] Newbie In Ystradgynlais

Tony veronicathecow at talktalk.net
Sat Feb 21 20:32:32 UTC 2009

Hi, I've been playing with Linux for last 6 years but still a newbie.
Tried many dozens of distros and their varients inc, Puppy, Buntu,
PCLinux, Sidux, etc but each seems to lack something (PCLinux is my
favourite so far but it is to slow to update.)

Currently running Open SUSE11.1 (And playing with Sidux, very fast)
I would like to come along to the meetings but due to detached retinas
etc I cannot drive after dusk so was wondering if it might be possible
to arrange  any daytime meetings (Weekends?)

An hour or two with a guru is worth days of trawling the net...

The things I would like to learn are, compiling programs and compiling
my own kernel. I know it sounds a bit bold for a newbie but I have
worked with microprocessor based boards, electronics and mucked around
with PCs since 1978. I can fix any PC and most Windows problems but
Linux still gives me problems (It has improved vastly over the last 6 years)

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Thanks.
Tony