[SWLUG] Not-for-profit formalisation?

Mark Henderson mark at standardblue.org.uk
Wed Jan 21 18:33:44 UTC 2009

On 20 Jan 2009, at 22:32, Matthew Moore wrote:
> swlug at paulconnell.fastmail.fm wrote:
>> Topic point!  Is there any interest in formalising the structure of
>> the
>> LUG?  I've looked at non-profit charity status and anything earned
>> under £5,000 doesn't need to be registered as a charity - and it's a
>> bit of
>> a bloody grey area apparently - anybody on the list have any more
>> experience of not-for-profit organisations?
>
> Nice idea I guess.  I can't really see the point to be honest.  We
> don't
> do anything that needs formalising.  As it is we organise a steady
> stream of meetings and the odd talk or similar.  Hardly needs an
> official structure.

This was something we talked about at the last Cardiff night.

I agree that we don't currently do anything that needs formalising, but
who says we won't in the future? Taking a step back - what do we do?
Why do we do it? What's the point of the LUG?

What do we do? Meet in pubs on a semi-regular basis, have a drink and
chat about stuff that may or may not be Linux-related. Occasionally
have a more formal event like lightning talks, if someone takes it upon
themselves to organise it. A lot gets talked about, most of it never
becomes anything more.

Why? Because no-one can be bothered to do anything else. I've noticed
that the prevalent attitude (and if I'm wrong, please correct me) is
that if someone wants to organise something, eg Matt and the lightning
talks, then it's pretty much 'on you go then, don't expect us to lift a
finger but we'll turn up and support'. Doesn't exactly encourage anyone
to arrange anything.

What's the point of the LUG? You'd be forgiven for thinking it's a
geek's drinking club ;-)

What /should/ be the point of the LUG? Perhaps Linux/Open Source
advocacy to the S Wales area - to local authorities, NGOs, educational
establishments, etc. Linux support/advice to the residents, SMEs, etc
of S Wales. I don't know. I do think that pushing Linux in that way is
something we should be doing - through install days, propaganda, etc.

And if we're going to be taken seriously, we probably need to organise
ourselves a little. We don't need charitable status, or anything like
that, but a small amount of funds and a point of contact (elected
chairperson?!?) would be beneficial. Funds could then pay for the
Quakers hall for an install day and the publicity for it, for example.
If the LUG does get into Linux advocacy in a serious way, a single
point of contact into the LUG is possibly a better way to run things.

These are just my thoughts, from what we were discussing the other
week. It'd be worth seeing what some other LUGs around the country are
doing and how they do it. If their model works, perhaps it should be
ours too.

Cheers,
Mark

PS - I'm not having a dig at anyone or the LUG in general, just trying
to raise some discussion about whether folk want the LUG to develop in
this way!