[SWLUG] Event organisation meeting/ ? fun

justin justin at discordia.org.uk
Sun Jan 25 13:41:13 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 10:23 +0000, plebs.col at virgin.net wrote:
> Is there a precise meaning to FLOSS?
>
> I suspect that a USB memory stick with a self starting  Linux OS  properly
> presented could intrigue a lot of school children..
>
>   Such a stick could be self reproducing once made available.
>
> Could update its own operating system whenever connected to the web?

theres loads of linux LiveCD systems that also work on usb keys.

for example Fedora 10, the installation manual tells you how to download
the files and make a bootable usb key, from linux or from windows.

the usb key solution being better than just a livecd because it allows
for an overlay, where it can remeber all the modifications and personal
settings that you apply to it. so they are all there next time.

i have one that i use on my eee when i want to experiment with stuff or
use a better desktop (with compiz :) than the default, but the boot time
is slower so i dont use it as my main os (yet).

im sure that Ubuntu and many others also have the same features, but ive
not tried them.