[SWLUG] Recording VHS on linux

Kris Zani kriszani at iscavision.com
Mon Jan 26 08:57:51 UTC 2009

I've done it before.

Two methods worked ok

Best method was connecting a Sony video camera to a firewire card and
plugging the vhs player
into the camera.  This camera was one of the models with small tapes and
could record back
from the video.  This method took quite a while but the final quality
was pretty good.

Other method was with a cheap Haupage wintv pci card.

both times i used Kino to record the video and then (sorry) i
transferred it to a windows box
and cut it up in movie maker.

Kino generally outputs pretty uncompressed avi's so they are huge
but i have since had some pretty good success with VLC for video conversion.

good luck