[SWLUG] Wireless USB Dongle Help

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri Jul 24 08:32:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 21:55 +0100, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> I am still struggling with this. I am getting somewhere a bit...
>
> I have been following some similar instructions I found on a forum and
> got to the point where I finally had the LED on the dongle flashing!!
>
> But then I lost it again.
>
> I have been trying to blacklist the driver I don't want (rt2500usb I
> believe) and then some commands like:
>
> sudo depmod -a
> sudo modprobe rt73
> sudo ifconfig rausb0 inet up

that last command would bring the interface up, but only if it has
already been configured with an ip address and so on.

you can check what the wireless settings (like channel, ssid etc) are
with iwconfig.

try doing a scan for an access point: sudo iwlist rausb0 scan

but really, once there is a valid network device, that lists its mac
address and so on under iwconfig, then the rest of the setup should be
handled by the gui tools like networkmanager.