[SWLUG] Wireless USB Dongle Help

Jon Reynolds maillist at jcrdevelopments.com
Mon Jul 27 20:14:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 09:32:00AM +0100, Justin Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 21:55 +0100, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> > I am still struggling with this. I am getting somewhere a bit...
> >
> > I have been following some similar instructions I found on a forum and
> > got to the point where I finally had the LED on the dongle flashing!!
> >
> > But then I lost it again.
> >
> > I have been trying to blacklist the driver I don't want (rt2500usb I
> > believe) and then some commands like:
> >
> > sudo depmod -a
> > sudo modprobe rt73
> > sudo ifconfig rausb0 inet up
>
> that last command would bring the interface up, but only if it has
> already been configured with an ip address and so on.
>
> you can check what the wireless settings (like channel, ssid etc) are
> with iwconfig.
>
> try doing a scan for an access point: sudo iwlist rausb0 scan
>

> but really, once there is a valid network device, that lists its mac
> address and so on under iwconfig, then the rest of the setup should be
> handled by the gui tools like networkmanager.

Well things once again are progressing a bit more. Don't get the chance
on this laptop very often.

Well this time...all I did was:

sudo modprobe rt73
then a restart with the dongle plugged in.
this time it booted up with the dongle coming alive on its own (a first)
network-manager found wireless networks (again a first!)
but it still doesn't connect. I do the usuals to connect but it just
seems to keep 'connecting...' and never gets anywhere.

So close yet so far.

Is there some way I can monitor what it is trying to do whilst its
'connecting'? And why it might not be working?

Cheers for the help so far.

Jon Reynolds