[SWLUG] Intro

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Jul 27 08:17:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

[People preferring Windows]

> This is something that regularly puzzles me, too, but I am biassed
> by not having used it other than feeding things through the spell-
> checker at university.

I think it's a "what you're used to" thing - trying something new is hard
and most people don't have the patience / attention span to get over the
initial learning curve.

It's probably worse these days since people are taught Windows in School,
so have never used anything else - when I was at school everyone had to
learn various different systems anyway (i.e. I ended up using BBCs and
later RiscOS at school, C64 -> DOS -> GeoWorks -> Win95 -> Linux at home,
Win3.1 at 6th form, etc.  Learning a totally new system every year or two
was par for the course).

It was quite sad at uni seeing people go into the computer society's room
because they wanted to surf the web, only to walk straight out again when
they realised it wasn't Windows (all the machines were running Gnome, so
starting a web browser on those systems wasn't hugely different to Win95,
and there were usually plenty of people around to ask anyway).

  - Steve