[SWLUG] Screen resolution problems.

P.G. Richardson p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Fri Jun 5 14:28:41 UTC 2009

Had exactly the same problem after buying my kvm a month ago.

Firstly, I have the nvidia driver so this may or may not be applicable to
you.

KVMs don't seem to allow the driver to communicate with the monitor.

Workaround:

1) Add the line ignore no edid line to the Device section of xorg.conf.
Found examples of both on net so google if unsure what is applicable for
your graphics driver.
Option "NoEDID" "true" or Option “IgnoreEDID” “true”

2) Create and add a ModeLine to your xorg for the applicable resolution.
Fedora has a convenient utility "gtf" for making this magical line easier
to generate.

3) See the Mode to the "name" of the Modeline so be something like 1024x768.

4) Give it a try...

PGR

--
Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them
how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded
perversity
 Have you ever considered a career in the church?
Bishop of Bath and Wells (Blackadder II)

A clear conscience? When did you acquire such luxuries, Bernard? (Sir
Humphrey, Yes Prime Minister)